you don"t need to save the crystal for a special day, even water tastes better in a "Fancy Glass"

Sunday, July 10, 2005

life is a bowl of cherries

More reflections from my trip back to Pennsylvania. One of the things that was a great part of my trip was finding so many great food markets, roadside stands, and local producers. Between my mom’s place in Northumberland and Lewisburg is Dries Orchard and Market… lots of fresh local grown apples, and other produce. What inspired me on this visit was the locally grown cherries! Dark and juicy. I bought a pint container and shared them with mom, her roommate and ate quite a few myself.

They were excellent. And a wonderful early summer treat. Cherries like this in Japan would be about 9.00 $ USA (about 900 yen)… so needless to say, I felt like I had found quite a bargain. Some are even worse, Like this story... Japan Today - News - Yamagata farmer ships premium cherries worth Y1,000 apiece

At Dries I also brought some home made fruit spreads in tiny glass jars to take back to Tokyo as gifts for my friends and co-workers and of course some for me and my husband to enjoy on morning toast.

Over on 101 Cookbooks today there was a great post about Batch’s Cherries from Washington state… they sounded sublime. And I copied down the ice cream recipe in my "too be tried someday folder-" though I think I will wait till I am somewhere where I can get Cherries for less than 9.00 a box.

Dries Orchards
Sunbury-Northumberland county
570-286-6723
apples, peaches, nectarines, pears, grapes, cherries

No comments: