you don"t need to save the crystal for a special day, even water tastes better in a "Fancy Glass"

Monday, April 03, 2006

cupcake heaven under the cherry trees...

ever since I started reading the Cupcake Bakeshop- I've been obsessed. I work in a restaurant, Fujimamas... and seriously since I read about all the fantastic creations by Chockylit- I have been bugging my pastry chef to try cupcakes in our pastry case. I think more sophisticated cupcakes would be a hit with all the young ladies who come to our restaurant! So I pestered, bugged, and printed out recipes week after week.

Finally in honor of Cherry Blossom Season here in Japan- He finally gave in and made me gorgeous, delicious cupcakes. The picture of the cupcake above is how they looked, AND the trees are the ones lining the street along the river where I live. This is one of my favorite times of year in Tokyo, largely because that is what I can see right out in front of my apartment.

The Cupcake was filled with strawberry filling - the icing lightly flavored with Sakura liqueur (sakura = cherry blossom in Japanese) They were perfect! We sold some at the cherry blossom festival on my street AND we ate some as well.

I still hope I can get him to try some of the other ideas we've been discussing, afterall Cupcakes are becoming a real trend in the USA and I think we could bring that trend to Tokyo!

this is from a piece in the SF Chronicle talking about the new trend-
Those who inhabited Manhattan could get instant gratification, heading to the illustrious Magnolia Bakery in Greenwich Village for one of its pastel-topped treats -- it took a little longer for the cupcake craze to take hold out West.

Now, the Bay Area is peppered with cupcake bakeshops and businesses (see Page F5), and at least eight cupcake cookbooks have been published in the last two years.

It's almost surprising that it took us this long to figure it out. Really, what's not to love? On a purely functional level, cupcakes are portable, they're small, and they're easily personalized.

other places to spot the trend

Columbia News Service

The Sex & The City Tour
All Cupcakes All the Time
Cupcakes are All the Rage from NY to LA!

No comments: