you don"t need to save the crystal for a special day, even water tastes better in a "Fancy Glass"

Friday, October 06, 2006

take away around the world!


I always read food news, food politics, trends, keeping an eye on what is what. Found a funny story today. As an american I have always thought of taking home leftovers a right. I don't often do it, because I almost always forget about them, either on the table after they are nicely packaged for me, or in my refridgerator back home which means they become some kind of science experiement- till I finally come across them again and throw them away. But many of my friends and family are take away converts. Doggie bags are more than common for Americans.

Living in Japan, I found that to be not a universal expectation. It makes sense actually as fish, a major ingredient in many japanese dishes, and the heat here in the summers would make for a dangerous left-overs combination. But I never really thought more of it after that.

Today I came across a story examining the "doggie bag" responses in 7 countries. They ranged from tolerance, to totally expected to flatly refused- (here in Japan.) The Russian response surprised me.

You can read the story here. at the Post Gazette from Pittsburgh.

I loved the response in Singapore! And the French- totally what I would have expected.

1 comment:

Blog Intro said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.