you don"t need to save the crystal for a special day, even water tastes better in a "Fancy Glass"

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Fancy Glass RR - Elizabeth's An American Bistro

Had a wonderful early birthday with my mother tonight. We went to a restaurant in Lewisburg PA.

Elizabeth’s Bistro. So creative, and inspired. Terrific menu, professional service, what a surprise. Elizabeth’s is in a college town (Bucknell University) It is on a quaint main street with charming boutiques, a book store, and antique stores.

We went to our reservation early, about 6:30. Were seated promptly in a beautiful window seat. I started with a glass of Hogue Cellars Riesling, and a glass of sparkling water. For an opening course, I had the special of the day, a crab cake on a bed of baby lettuce, corn salsa, and topped with a mustard and garlic aioli. My mother had a cream of mushroom soup. Her main was scallops on potato corn pancakes with cucumber sauce, and fresh early summer cucumbers and tomatoes. And I had Lamb Chops, with a pistachio crust, and berry and apricot sauces. For dessert they brought a glorious dessert tray- all baked on premise- too many choices, but we finally decided and we finished up sharing a strawberry and rhubarb cobbler with homemade ice cream.

Everything was prepared to perfection. The only down side was my cappuccino which was not good at all… but such a small thing could not mar such a fabulous food evening.

A few other highlights:
Lots of local produce, organic foods and Slow Food on the menu
Creative Bar menu selection including some delcious-sounding orginal cocktails
Over 100 wines winning them a wine spectator magazine award for excellence
Special tapas menu and other seasonal creative ideas
Clean and elegant

Fancy Glass RR (restaurant review) 1-5 (five being fantastic)

Food- 5- delicious, creative, and perfectly prepared

Atmosphere- 3.5 – beautiful but all the heavy fabrics really felt wintery to me. If it were my place I would change the table cloths and napkins to reflect the seasons a bit more. But it was charming, and the flowers on each table were lovely.

Service- 4- very professional, a few more touches could take them easily to a 5. The service was good, but not exceptional like the food. Could easily get there.

Dessert- 5- the cobbler was wonderful, fresh berries, piping hot inside with the vanilla ice cream on top. Simply Perfect.

Would I go Again! Certainly--- I plan on taking my husband when we next come to visit my mother. Very worth repeat visits. I saw on their website that they also do special events, cooking classes and catering. Sounds like the perfect place to return to.

Elizabeth’s An American Bistro
412 Market Street
Lewisburg, PA 17837

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

must go when I get to the area, it sounds like such a treat!