you don"t need to save the crystal for a special day, even water tastes better in a "Fancy Glass"

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Fish Sandwiches at the fence!

Sorry for the long silence on the fancy glass.

I have been traveling and gathering stories… Right now, I am visiting family in Central Pennsylvania. My mom lives in a quaint little town called Northumberland. Joseph Priestly settled here from England and this is where he discovered oxygen.
I haven’t been home in a while, and I am really enjoying the green trees, sounds of the birds, he gorgeous flowers and gardens, and the slow pace. Out on lots of local food adventures too.

One of our favorite places to go for years and years was a little place called “THE FENCE” it is along the Susquehanna river and is one of the rare carside dining and outdoor 50’s style dining left. It is right at river’s edge, and serves great fish, scallops and shrimp. In sandwiches, in baskets with home cut fries. Very all-American. So yesterday while my mother was at class (she is taking a science course for teachers) I took myself out to the fence. What a treat. I had the homemade fish sandwich. Not store bought frozen patties for these folks! Light flaky white fish on a roll. Home cut homemade fries, and lots of tasty cold beverages. I opted for Pepsi, but was tempted by the lemonade. (caffeine addict that I am, I went for bubbles with caffeine) Very good, nice service, fun atmosphere. Oldies station on the radio, which I did not love, but which was appropriate for the surroundings. Altogether a fun place to go for lunch. One of the best parts is the gaggle of Canadian geese that hang out just below the restaurant. Very beautiful. Nice local joint, no big corporate feel.

We should all cherish these kinds of places and go out and support them whenever we can! More pictures below!

No comments: