you don"t need to save the crystal for a special day, even water tastes better in a "Fancy Glass"

Sunday, January 21, 2007

the good the bad and the ugly

When I was last at our restaurant in Hawaii I was sad to hear that the infamous Hooters was going to be opening up in Kona. Not a fan... and I really don't think that Hooters, as a company contributes to the community in any positive ways though i hear that they do donate to some charity organizations.

particularly icky is the Hooters Handbook...

Female employees are required to sign that they "acknowledge and affirm" the following:
1. My job duties require I wear the designated Hooters Girl uniform.
2. My job duties require that I interact with and entertain the customers.
3.The Hooters concept is based on female sex appeal and the work environment is one in which joking and sexual innuendo based on female sex appeal is commonplace.
4. I do not find my job duties, uniform requirements, or work environment to be offensive, intimidating, hostile, or unwelcome.

Imagine my surprise (and hidden happiness) in hearing that after only being open a very short time- Hooters Kona is already being closed down- "indefinately" Apparently the owners and managers ingnored repeated warnings about permits and building codes- Basically, metophorically spitting in the faces of local inspectors and rules and regs. And so after ignoring several Stop-orders and requests for permit resubmissions and inspections, local athorities had had enough!

Big front page news in the local paper this morning! Can't say I am disappointed to hear it. And I am certain that if they are able to re-open at some point- this will be the beginning of a less than smooth relationship between Hooters corp. and the residents and law enforcement of Kona. Posted by Picasa

No comments: