you don"t need to save the crystal for a special day, even water tastes better in a "Fancy Glass"

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Curious about Macaroons.

I had always seen French Macaroons in high end Francophile shops here in Tokyo… and wondered about them. They looked so cute and delicate. But a little fancy for me. I had only ever seen the clunkier coconut variety back in the states. There is really no comparison. After reading the post about lily of the valley macaroons in Paris on May Day over at the excellent and famous Moveable Feast chef/food blog - though I could resist no longer.

It just so happened that around the corner from the restaurant I work at is a Peltier, a chocolate and dessert cafe and low and behold the other day I noticed that their new gorgeous window display was featuring Macaroons. Someday maybe I will get to go to the original Peltier in Paris
But for now I decided to buy a sample box of macaroons and see for my self (or rather – taste for myself) This was also a means of making me feel better about my lost fancy chocolate from my post at the end of last month. I had eaten two of my six pieces of fantastic chocolate- leaving the rest in the 2nd floor bar refrigerator- and they gotten eaten by other folks from my staff! Gasp!

So tonight, The Madeline Café vendor was by my house so I bought a cappuccino and I broke out my cute little box of macaroons to give them a try. I decided to start with the pale yellow one, which turned out to be, predictably, Citrus. It was delightful. Quite sweet, so even though it is small. Eating these one by one will be fine over the next few days, as long as there is no freshness issue. The cake/cookie outside was kind of like a tea-cake and inside there was a delicious sweet-sour citrus cream filling. Very nice.

I think I will try one of the two brown-ish ones next. I believe one is coffee flavored and one chocolate.

This is from a free foreign magazine in Japan "Metropolis"- on the re-opening of Peltier in my work neighborhood.

Peltier reopened this October with a snazzy yet oddly relaxing saffron, white and gold interior, and a new menu from Taste Director Philippe Conticine. Besides the assorted meringues, mousses and tarts, there are more than 20 varieties of bonbons, including the India, a blend of two chocolates with an Earl Gray aroma; the Rocher Coriande, with lemon and coriander; and the Sous Bois, with a strawberry and pistachio ganache. Two bonbons cost ¥500, four cost ¥1,000, and 12 cost ¥3,000. An Orria bag with chocolate-covered almond and orange peel goes for ¥900. Peltier, which also has a café, is tucked between the ASBEE shoe store and Kiddy Land on Omotesando. Peltier's main shop is in Paris.

Peltier Tokyo
6-2-9 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku. Tel: 03-3499-4791. Open daily 11am-9pm. Nearest stn: Meijijingumae.

No comments: