you don"t need to save the crystal for a special day, even water tastes better in a "Fancy Glass"

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

fonda de la madrugada

  I am working on a little piece for a magazine about Cinco De Mayo and yummy Mexican food available in Tokyo. So last night the hubby and I went out to the venerable Fonda de la Madrugada... a long standing Mexican restaurant in the Yoyogi area. Kind of theme park feeling, but they did great things with the interior. One of the owners of Fujimamas, Lisa, was involved in the opening but I don't know how much of the interior or other aspects came from her. I have always meant to ask her for more of the history and experience of opening that place?!

I loved the chairs and tables, very rustic and still comfy. Our server was not very good but the food was fast and fresh and hot. He had guacamole and a stuffed crab dish as starters, then Hubby had a trio of enchiladas and I had chicken mole with rice. It was nice. Some of the dishes were pretty salty. I loved the musicians who played through out the night and the restaurant seemed pretty busy even for a Monday. A bit pricier than our usual hang out Junkadelic (tex mex in Nakameguro near where we live) but fun. It was our first time though we had been meaning to go for years.

We liked the Sangria, though it was a little sweet. I might go back with a group- that would be fun... but not sure it would be high on the list to go again soon. I am eager to try their new spot in the Tokyo Midtown Development. It is called La Colina. We will go to midtown next week I think and check out a few of the new spots for the blog and for my writing. I really want to check out the new huge Dean and DeLuca.

Address for Fonda-
VILA BIANCA B1
2-33-11 JINGUUMAE , SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
map available on their site


Posted by Picasa

No comments: