you don"t need to save the crystal for a special day, even water tastes better in a "Fancy Glass"

Thursday, April 19, 2007

a wonderful archive for american culinary history


University of Michigan has a fantastic center, set up a few years ago The Longone Center for American Culinary Research. This is a place I would LOVE to go, do research and read... And they are hosing their second symposium this May.

If you find yourself in Ann Arbor- this sounds like it would be a foodies dream event- especially those foodies interested in culinary heritage, the slow food network and the history of food in the usa.

The Janice Bluestein Longone Culinary Archive at the
William L. Clements Library on the University of Michigan campus in Ann Arbor contains thousands of items from the 16th to 20th centuries - books, ephemera, menus, magazines, graphics, maps, manuscripts, diaries, letters, catalogues, advertisements, and reference works. It is a work in progress, and material is being added and catalogued daily.
And you can see the may 18th to 20th event program here. I wish I could go, and I hope someday to be able to include food history and slow food travel in my future.

some other amazing sounding food events...
Slow Fish in Genoa
Slow food nation book tour

1 comment:

tokyoterri said...

the whole slow anything trend sounds so beautiful...I have to say that it sounds hard for me to actually do...but I can aspire...